Friday, November 7, 2008

Lets put our rapists to work

I’m having a hard time understanding my own feelings. I am thrilled that Obama is the next President. I found myself crying during his acceptance speech. All the while, I watch as our world falls apart before my eyes. Madness seems to be spreading.

In March of 2002 the Saudi religious police forced 15 young girls to burn to death. The school girls were forced to stay inside a burning building because they were not wearing correct Islamic dress. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/1874471.stm

It’s one of those stories that is forced into the back of my mind. Facing the truth of these sick, twisted animals forces me to hate. It’s just easier to focus on my lack of power to effect the situation. I hear these stories and wonder what reality I’m in. A couple of days ago I was blind sided with this story:

Girl Is Stoned to Death in Somalia After Reporting Rape

In Somalia the Muslims believe it’s appropriate for a freshly raped 13 year old girl to be stoned to death for committing adultery. I try like hell to keep my hate in check, but war seems justified against pure evil. And how can stoning rape victims be anything less than pure evil?

Is there such a thing as “more insane?”

With Somalia legalizing rape, my hate for such things leads me to imagine going to war against this abusive culture. But when did war ever solve anything? So, I’ve re-thought my hateful designs and decided on another strategy. If “bombing for peace” works, I’m thinking "non-consensual, male-on-male fucking" could work to stop rape. We’ll need a recruiting effort from our prison population to rape the Somalian men. Remember that scene from Pulp Fiction? Kind-of-like that but multiplied by thousands. It make more sense than anything else to get medieval on their ass.

So now I’ve gone round the bend. I’ve become the curmudgeon I’ve always feared. Remember Grand-pa Simpson’s letter to the President? :

Dear Mr. President, there are too many states. Please eliminate two of them.
P.S. I am not a crack pot!
We’ll, here’s mine:

Dear Mr. President,
Please send all convicted man-on-man rapist to
Somalia and have them rape the all the men. P.S. I am not a crack pot!!

P.P.S. And please do something those murderous Giraffes!! They want to
eat our brains.




This story almost got by me. Someone has stolen a beach. No, really. In Jamaica someone stole a beach.

Jamaica puzzled by theft of beach

To date the police have not found the 500 truck loads of beach so there’s some kind of sand cover-up going on. Which means someone has the dirt, on the dirt, on the sand.

I just heard about Palin not knowing that Africa was a continent. If this is just a malicious rumor I commend it’s author because it’s the kind of thing that sounds like stone cold truthiness. In other words, ‘you can’t make this kind of thing up.’ And if it isn’t true I don’t feel alone in blaming the Alaskan Governor for feeding these type of rumors by not being candid and available for interviews. The only thing the public knows about Palin is her inability to think on her feet. It seems most people are not freaked out by this. I can’t help but wonder about the nightmare scenario of Palin becoming President. How can this almost happen? Electing a mentally challenged beauty pageant contestant to the highest office is half a step away from a Marx Brother’s movie. It makes more sense to steal a beach and move it to Fredonia.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Horrifying as these things are (not the giraffes), I think it's significant that they are not actually representative of anyone's true beliefs - that they rather are a violent, panicked, knee-jerk reaction of a group that has found itself unexpectedly powerless on the stage, in a theater they didn't even realize they were even acting in until not all that long ago.

I don't know, I can never believe that individual human beings are actually evil; but like a pack of loose dogs, they certainly are capable of evil acts under certain circumstances. Some of those who set fire to the school, or sentenced a little girl to death for the offense of having a violent crime committed against her, must even be fathers of little girls of their own. Like Nazi Germany, their world has gone mad.

It's a sense of powerlessness that begets bullying. I really truly am hoping that for our country to take the first step, and move away from the political hatred and intolerance that have represented the US for so long, will begin to quiet that sense of powerlessness and maybe people will start behaving more rationally... maybe. Not that the US is the only factor involved, and not for a moment that any underlying problems are so ridiculously simple.

But as far as the giraffes go, you're on your own.

Anonymous said...

In passing, I mentioned giraffes to A on Friday. You should have seen his eyes bug out of his head like, "How did YOU know about the giraffes, woman?!" He didn't know that I read your blog :D

Lowell said...

Now Tommy, Sarah does so know Africa's a continent. She plans to like visit the president, some guy named like Mandolin, like very soon, maybe when the governor's convention is over, unless of course the Russians are like threatening to invade Alaska.

Good job, my friend!

Jacob at Contextual Criticism