Tuesday, April 22, 2008

And the War goes on. . . .

Bloody Weekend: 32 Shot, 2 Stabbed, 6 Dead

No. That headline isn’t about Iraq. That is Chicago. I can’t help but wonder if they’ll start deploying MASH units soon. Obviously, no one has taught these drug gangs how to do things. I know what the Republicans would say. "Just say no to drugs." All better now.

Having the opinion that this country should end prohibition leaves me in the minority when I find myself wishing these gangsters well. It sounds like a fun short life with 1000 times the amount of adrenaline-filled-action than paying my gas bill. (That’s all I did today.)

I’m also in the minority in believing that life is not a race to see who lives the longest. If we could measure the intensity of their brief lives, I’d wager theirs outweighs mine. It’s not the choice that I’d make, but if you have nothing else, then you have no choice. It seems silly to blame them for their fate.

Al Capone could teach these gangs how to run things. If you want to be a big time drug dealer, make sure drugs stay illegal. You can do anything you want. You can kill anyone you’d like. In truth, the job description demands that you murder many, many people. You’ll probably have to kill cops. Killing children is more of an elective, but it is still important to threaten anyone who stands against you and to be totally ruthless. Just make sure they don’t vote to take away prohibition. If they do, you’re out of a job. Oh, and pay your taxes.

No comments: