Saturday, April 19, 2008

Schadenfreude Dreams

PhotobucketI am ecstatic. Obama has finally answered my question! I can’t believe it. In earlier posts I harped on the inadequate response from the candidates on an obvious question. “If you become the next president, will you pursue charges against the Bush administration for any of the mirid of crimes? When I called the Clinton campaign, the local and the national office, they both said, “if it’s not on the web site, she doesn’t have a comment.”

Obama would ask his AG to “immediately review” potential crimes of the Bush White House.

Finally, here’s Obama’s answer, via Will Bunch at Philly dot com. Obama:

“What I would want to do is to have my Justice Department and my Attorney General immediately review the information that's already there and to find out are there inquiries that need to be pursued. I can't prejudge that because we don't have access to all the material right now. I think that you are right, if crimes have been committed, they should be investigated. You're also right that I would not want my first term consumed by what was perceived on the part of Republicans as a partisan witch hunt because I think we've got too many problems we've got to solve.”

“So this is an area where I would want to exercise judgment -- I would want to find out directly from my Attorney General -- having pursued, having looked at what's out there right now -- are there possibilities of genuine crimes as opposed to really bad policies. And I think it's important-- one of the things we've got to figure out in our political culture generally is distinguishing betyween really dumb policies and policies that rise to the level of criminal activity.”

“You know, I often get questions about impeachment at town hall meetings and I've said that is not something I think would be fruitful to pursue because I think that impeachment is something that should be reserved for exceptional circumstances. Now, if I found out that there were high officials who knowingly, consciously broke existing laws, engaged in coverups of those crimes with knowledge forefront, then I think a basic principle of our Constitution is nobody above the law -- and I think
that's roughly how I would look at it.”
That synched it for me. Obama’s my man. Without a thorough investigation into the Bush administration, America will never be able to heal. It will still be a far cry from real justice, but if the best we can do is embarrass Dubya, then we are not really trying.

My schadenfreude guru has been patiently waiting for years for Dubya to end up in a courtroom. If they broadcast the trials on T.V., I’m taking the month off, loading up on Diet Coke and frozen dinners, and revel. Just revel. Nothing would make me happier than watching that som’ bitch have to explain himself. To be fair, Cheney explaining himself under oath would peak my interest more, but I believe he’d rather commit suicide than submit to legalities. Either way I’m making a day out of it.

I worry about being so passionate about such matters. What if my future wife is giving birth to my first son, but I won’t leave the T.V. room because Cheney just admitted under oath to a year long affair with Lewis Libby and Valarie Plames’ name came up in pillow talk? “Sorry honey, I can’t come now. My mind is melting.” Schadenfreude Dreams.

3 comments:

Freida Bee said...

Ahhh- That just cheered me up for a week...

Lowell said...

Yes! Yes! Yes!

This doesn't mean impeachment will happen, but at least Obama's talking like it could happen and for the moment, it doesn't get any better than that!

Great post, Tommy!

I think I'm gonna go have a drink to impeachment right now!

Jacob

Anonymous said...

I'm interested in what happens next. Bush should rot in jail but I can't imagine Obama or anyone else having the time to look into criminal charges against Bush. With the mess this country is in right now there won't be time for back tracking. Love the blog by the way.